What 3D is
Fields of Application
3D is everywhere, even if we can’t see it ! Here is some of fields of application :
- Movies (combination of live films and 3D, specials effects…)
- Animation movies (long length cartoons)
- TV series and cartoons
- Advertising (posters, papers or magazines advertising inserts…)
- TV Commercials
- Institutional films
- Architectural presentations (to present buildings not constructed yet or to promote resorts…)
- Concert projections
- Video Games
- Serious games (game techniques used for teaching purposes)
The professions - specialties
« Infographiste 3D » or « 3D CG artist » is divided in several specializations :
- Modeler : the person who creates 3D models, like virtual sculptures of decors or characters
- Mapper : the person who creates and applies textures to make materials on models
- Layout-man : the person who sets up the scene with the textured models
- Lighter : the persons who sets up the lights in the scenes to create ambiances
- Animator : the person who animates characters and cameras to make them alive
- Renderer : the person who sets up the cameras and the rendering of pictures
- Compositor : the persons who compiles pictures and adjust them to finish the movie
Examples : Projects that former students have worked on
Shrek the Third, Silent Hill, Batman begins, Immortel, Le Magic Roundabout, Matrix Revolution, 2046, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Van Helsing, The Prestige, Harry Potter «The order of the Phoenix», Renaissance, Astérix aux Jeux Olympiques, Babylone AD, Madagascar 2, Speed Racer,Arthur & Minimoys 2 et 3, Yona Yona Penguin, Igor, Avatar, Spiderman 3, Transformers, G.I. Joe, Iron Man 2...
Oban Star Racers, Moot moot, Skyland, Klumpies, Garfield, Léonard...
Mc Donald's, Lu, Pespi, Renault, L'Oréal, Lancôme, Nvidia GeForce
Canal Sat, Levis, HP, Kinder, Citroën, Jingles pub TF1, M6...
Video Games presentations
King Kong, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Prisonniers d’Azkaban
Prince of Persia 3...
making of a student project, step by step